A 9 1/2″ shallow round baking dish or pie plate gives this crisp the ideal ratio of fruit filling to crumble topping.
In this crisp, the apricots hold their shape. The strawberries, in contrast, become sauce like.
- 2 oz cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup old- fashion rolled oats
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp course salt
- 2 oz pinenuts, toasted(1/3 cup)
- 1 lb apricots, pitted and cut into sixths (about 2 cups)
- 12 oz strawberries (about 15) hulled and halved, or quartered if large
- (about 2-1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp zest and lemon juice
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
1 pint strawberry or vanilla ice cream
- Combine all crumble ingredients in a medium bowl and massage together with your fingers until butter is incorporated and mixture forms small clumps.
- Refrigerate until mixture is cold, at least 30 minutes and up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degree.
- Butter a 9 1/2 inch shallow round baking dish or pie plate.
- Combine all filling ingredients in another medium bowl.
- Transfer to baking dish and top with crumble.
- Bake until bubbling in centre and crumble is browned, about 40 minutes.
- Let cool at least 20 minutes.
- Serve warm or room tempreture with ice cream.
- Note: you can use 12oz of dried apricots if you can not get fresh apricots.
- Cut apricots into quarters and soak it in cold water for 5 hours or overnight.
- Drain the water and use them as fresh apricots.
- 1 lb steak
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 lb prawns, medium size, peeled and deveined
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp H.P Sauce
- 2 tbsp worstershire sauce
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 tsp ginger
- 2 carrots, cut in thin slices
- 1/2 lb Green Beans
- 1 small cucumber.
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2 medium onions sliced
- 3 cups rice
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 5 cardomon pod
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp saffron
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 oz pinenuts
- Cut steak and chicken into thin strips about 1″ long. Marinate this in ginger, garlic and all the sauces. Let stand for about 1 hour.
- Cut the prawns in half lengthwise and refrigerate it.
- Prepare all the vegetables. Peel and cut the carrots in half then slice them into thin slices. Cut the green beans 1″ long. Quarter the cucumber and cut it into thin slices. Cut the bell pepper in quater and slice it thin.
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large skillet and fry the onions till they are soft and transparent. Add the meat mixture and cook till meat is almost done. About 10 min.
- Add the carrots and the green beans and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Just before serving add the prawns and cook till they are cooked. Prawns are cooked when it changes colour and they curl up, about 2 minutes.
- Add the cucumber and bell peppers, mix and serve.
Spread the rice in a platter and put the meat mixture on top.
- Rinse rice in cold water and soak for half and hour.
- In a large saucepan heat 1/2 cup oil, add cumin, cardamon pods, turmeric powder, saffron and salt and pinenuts.
- Add 4-1/2 cups hot water.
- Add the rice and cook uncovered on high heat till it starts to boil. Lower the heat to medium, cover and cook till almost all the water has evaporated about 10 minutes. Cover and put the saucepan in a preheated 300 degree oven for about 15 minutes.
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp red-pepper flakes
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 boneless rib-eye steaks(each 8 oz and 3/4 inch thick)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 lb carrots(3-4 medium)
- 1 medium head romaine lettuce, cut crosswise into 1- inch ribbons
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup fresh bean sprouts (optional)
- 1/3 cup salted peanuts, chopped (Optional)
- Make Marinade:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together lime juice, soy sauce, sugar, red pepper flakes, and oil. Season steak generously with salt and pepper; place in a baking dish. Pour 1/4 of marinade over steaks(reserve remaining marinade). Turn steaks to coat. Let steaks marinate up to 30 minutes.
- In a large skillet, cook steaks on medium-high heat, turning once, 2 to 3 minutes per side for medium- rare. Transfer to a cutting board; tent loosely with aluminum foil, and let rest, 5 a 10 minutes. Slice steaks across the grain into 1/4 inch- thick slices; halve slices crosswise. Transfer to a large bowl, and toss with reserved marinade.
- With a vegetable peeler, cut carrots into long ribbons. Add to steak in bowl along with lettuce and mint; toss to combine. Divide salad among four shallow bowls. Sprinkle with bean sprouts and peanuts, if desired.
Crosswise. Transfer to a large bowl
4 cups torn greens2 firm mangoes1 sweet red pepper1 sweet yellow pepper2 carrots, coarsely grated1/4 cup coarsely grated fresh ginger1/2 cup thinly sliced spring onions2 cups bean sprouts1/4 cup coarsely chopped mint1/4 cup coarsely chopped basil1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro1/2 cup coarsely chopped roasted peanuts
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) thinly sliced green onions
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) coarsely chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated lime rind
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fish sauce or soy sauce
- 2 tsp (10 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) minced hot pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
Continue reading Thai Mango salad