This recipe is for local Thai street food style Tom Yum Soup – it is not the fancy kind – but follow this recipe for the authentic taste you will find in Thailand.
There are two version of the Tom Yum Soup, Tom Yum Goong nam sai is Tom Yum Shrimp in a clear broth, while
Tom Yum Goong Nam Khon is the creamy milky version.
People think Tom Yum creamy is made creamy with coconut milk, it is actually made with evaporated milk.
Goong or shrimps is one of the most popular ingredient to make this soup with, but you can also make it with a mix of seafood like squid, fish or chicken.
The most absolutely essential ingredients for this soup are the three thai herbs:
- Kaffir lime leaves
Other ingredients are just as important.
- 2 litre water
- 4 stalks lemongrass
- 1 inch chunk of galangal
- 10 kaffir lime leaves
- 10 thai chilies(or to taste)
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 lb chicken breast or prawns
- 1/2 lb oyster mushrooms
- 2 roma tomatoes
- 2 white onions(medium size)
- 2 tsp sugar
- 8-12 tbsp fish sauce
- 8-12 tbsp lime juice
- Handful cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp canned Thai roasted chili sauce
- 10 tbsp evaporated milk
- In a large saucepan boil 2 litres of water.
- Remove the outer leaf of the lemon grass and slice it diagonally in 1 inch strip.
- Slice the galangal.
- Coarsely break about 10 kaffir leaves.
- Peel the garlic.
- Remove the stems and chop the chills.
- Add all this to the water, cover and bring it to a boil. Let it boil for 10 minutes. Turn down the heat to low.
- Add the thinly sliced chicken or peeled and deveined shrimps.
- Rinse the mushrooms, Slice them and add them to the saucepan.
- Slice the roma tomatoes and onions into wedges – you want them big and chunky, add this to the soup.
- Boil it for about 3 minutes.
- Add the fish sauce and the sugar and boil for another minute, turn off the heat. The mushroom and onions should be soft when it is ready.
- Add the chopped cilantro and lime juice before serving.
- For the creamy version add, the chilli sauce, and evaporated milk, boil for 1 minute and serve.