Roasting the cauliflower brings out a depth of flavour in the gorgeous dip. Serve this hint of curry spread with pappadum, crudites or crackers.
Makes 3 cups
- 3/4 cup Balkan-style plain yoghurt(Greek yoghurt)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp salt, ground cumin and ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger and pepper
- 1 head cauliflower(about 2 lbs)
- 1 large onion cut into eighths
- 6 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large bowl, stir together 1/3 cup if the yoghurt, oil, curry powder, salt, cumin, coriander, ginger and pepper.
- Cut cauliflower into florets; add yoghurt mixture along with onions and garlic, tossing to coat.
- Spread on large greased baking tray; roast in 425 degree F(220) oven, stirring once, until tender and browned, about 40 minutes. Let cool.
- In food processor, puree together cauliflower mixture, remaining yoghurt and lemon juice until fairly smooth with a few chunks.
- Stir in cilantro.
Fruit and Vegetable Mix
- 2 raw Mangoes
- 1 lb carrots
- 1/2 lb Jalepeno or other hot chilli
- 2 tbsp salt
- 10 dried apricots(cut into quarters)
- 10 dried apple rings(cut into quarters).
- 2 cups oil
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1-2 inch piece cinnamon stick
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup crushed rye
- 1/2 cup crushed methi
- 1/2 cup crushed dhana seeds
- 1/2 cup haldi
- 1/2 cup red chili
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1 lb Jaggery(Goor)chopped into small pieces
- Rinse and cut the Mangoes into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Peel and cut the carrots into 2 x 1/4 inch sticks.
- Cut the Jalepeno into quarters.
- Add the salt and leave it overnight.
- In the morning drain the liquid, spread it on a cookie sheet and let it dry in the sun for a day.
- Heat oil, add black pepper, cloves, cinnamon stick, garlic slices.
- Let the oil cool, then add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Let it rest for 2 days stirring everyday.
- Add the dried fruit and vegetable, mix well.
- Let it rest for a few days before you serve.
Note: If you live in the western world, you can use a dehydrator to dry your Fruit and Vegetables.
- 5 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp crushed garlic
- 1 tbsp crushed ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1-1/2 cups vinegar
Put all the ingredients in a blender and mix it.
Harissa is a fiery blend of chilies and spices, in the form of a thick paste. Harissa is native to the northern African countries of Morocco, Algeria, Libya and Tunisia. The history of Harissa is linked closely to that of the red pepper, which was introduced to Europe and North Africa in the 1400s. Harissa is a staple food often eaten with every meal in Morocco and its neighboring countries.
Harissa is usually made with ingredients such as chilies, garlic, vinegar, salt, and olive oil, though the recipe for Harissa varies based on the region of production. While the base of Harissa is hot chili peppers, additional ingredients may include coriander, caraway, paprika, lemon juice or cumin. The type of pepper used will determine the heat of the chili paste.
Harissa is traditionally eaten alongside couscous, but also adds a bright vibrant flavor to sauces, dressings, marinades and soup. Harissa adds a flavorful kick to sandwiches, roasted vegetables, rice or noodles. Delicious when spread on lamb, or mixed into the sauce of a braise. Harissa is also a perfect sauce to spoon over eggs or potatoes.
- 12 fresh red finger-length chillies
- 1-1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp sea salt flakes
- 2. tsp tomato paste
- 2 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp light olive oil
- 7 drops rose water
- Roast the coriander and caraway seeds over the heat in a dry frying pan until fragrant, making sure they do not burn, then work to a fine powder in a pestle and mortar or a spice grinder.
- In a blender add all the ingredients and blend to a fine paste, then set aside for at least an hour before using it.
The fiery paste can be turned into a mellow dip by stirring through natural yoghurt.
The Harissa will keep up to 2 weeks in the fridge.
FREEZE: In nice cube trays, then pop out and use when needed.
- 1/4 cup finely chopped tomato
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1 jalapeño finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped mango(half ripe)
- 2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 lime juice and zest of lime
Mix everything together and serve.