- 3 cups sifted white flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 cups grated golden delicious apples
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ½ cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- ½ cup finely chopped walnuts (for garnish)
Lemon Butter Frosting (recipe follows)
- Grease and flour two 9 x 1½ inch cake pans or one 13 x 9 inch Baking pan. Preheat oven to Moderate (350 degrees)
- Sift flour, salt, cloves and cinnamon onto wax paper.
- Combine grated apples with Baking Soda in a medium size bowl.
- Beat butter, sugar and eggs in a large bowl with electric mixer on high until well blended and fluffy.
- Stir in flour mixture alternating with apple mixture, beating between addition until batter is smooth. Stir in nuts. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 min. for layers or 40 min. for the larger pan, or until centre springs back when lightly pressed with fingertip.
- Cool completely in a pan on a wire rack
- Fill and frost with Lemon Butter Cream or for larger layer, frost top and sides; pat finely chopped walnuts around side of cake, if you wish.
Lemon Butter Frosting
- 4 oz butter
- 1 lb icing sugar
- 1 lemon
- In a medium size bowl beat butter until soft.
- Add icing sugar alternating with lemon rind and lemon juice from the lemon until smooth and spreadable..