- 8 oz butter
- 8 oz sugar
- 4 eggs
- 8 oz white flour
- 2 level tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ cup luke warm water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and creamy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Fold in the white flour and baking powder, together with the water to give a dropping consistency.
- Pour the mixture into 2 greased 8″ round cake tin and bake for about 20 min or until done.
- Cool on a wire cooling tray, sandwich with the jam and decorate with icing sugar.
To test cake: –
- press gently with a finger, if no impression remains cake is cooked.
- Prick it with a tooth pick and if the tooth pick comes out clean the cake is done.
Substitute 1 oz cocoa for flour.
Add 2 oz coconut
Orange or lemon
add zest of 1 orange or 1 lemon and the juice.
- 2 Cornish hen
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 oz butter
- 1 cup Frank’s red hot sauce
- 6 potatoes
- 1 tbsp white flour
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley for decoration
Cut Cornish hen in half. Remove the extra fat and rinse it with cold water. Sprinkle it with salt and bake it in a preheated 400 degree oven for 1 hour. The Cornish hen should be light brown and crispy.
Wash the potatoes and cut it into thick wedges. Put the wedges in a bowl, add the oil, a quarter cup red hot sauce, and the white flour. Mix it well and bake it in the oven with the Cornish hen for about 30 minutes or until done.
Just before serving, melt the butter in a wok or a large frying pan, add the red hot sauce and the Cornish hen. Turn and coat the hen on all sides,
Serve this with the potato wedges and sprinkle it with parsley.
This is a recipe I got from the First Magazine in 1992.
Don’t remove the green hulls before rinsing strawberries. The leaves keep the berries from absorbing water and getting mushy.
- 2-1/4 cups white flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 6 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 3/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 qt strawberries
- 2- 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Combine flour, 1 cup of the sugar, the baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Separate eggs. Combine the yolks, melted butter, water and 1 tsp of the vanilla. With an electric mixer set at low speed, gradually beat egg yolk mixture into flour mixture until just smooth.
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites with cream of tartar, at medium speed, until whites hold soft peaks. Beat in 1/2 cup of the remaining sugar, adding it gradually. Continue beating until whites hold stiff peaks.
- With a rubber spatula, carefully fold the egg whites into the cake batter.
- Pour into an ungreased 10” angel-food-cake pan. Bake until a toothpick stuck in the centre comes out clean, 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes. Cool.
- Slice off the top 1/2 inch of the cake and set aside. Cut a tunnel about 1 1/2 inch deep in the cake. The cut should be about 3/4 inch from the centre and from the outside of the cake. Remove cake with a fork to form a tunnel.
- Hull and chop half the strawberries. Beat heavy cream with remaining 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 tsp vanilla until the cream holds stiff peaks. Combine 1 1/2 cups of the whipped cream with the chopped strawberries.
- Fill the tunnel with the strawberries-and-whipped cream mixture. Replace the top of the cake.
- Frost cake with remaining whipped cream. Shortly before serving, hull and half the remaining strawberries. Decorate the cake with the berries.
Valentine’s Day (February 14th) is a day when lovers express their love for each other by presenting flowers, offering confectionery, and sending greeting cards. Romantic dinners on Valentine Day are very popular too.
When we were growing up Valentine’s was a day when you sent cards, flowers or gifts to the person you admire, hopping they will guess who it is from.
For Valentines I will make
- Shrimps and Avocado Salad
- Cornish Hen Piri Piri
- Strawberry Shortcake
You can buy the Cornish hen in the frozen section in the grocery store and you can also buy Frank’s red sauce from the grocery store. There are other companies that do the Red hot sauce e.g. Louisiana Red hot sauce.
Prep Time: 20 min (plus refrigeration)
Makes 16 servings
- 18 Lady Fingers
- 4 squares Baker’s Semi-Sweet Chocolate
- 2 pkg (3.9 oz each) Jello Chocolate Instant Pudding
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoon cold milk
- 1 tub (8oz.) Cool Whip Whipped Topping, thawed
- 1 pkg. (8oz.) Philadelphia Cream Cheese, softened
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¾ cup fresh raspberries
- Cut lady fingers in half and line inside edge of 9-inch round pan lined with plastic wrap.
- Melt 3 chocolate squares over a hot bath.
- Beat pudding mixes and 2 cups milk in medium bowl with whisk 2 min. Add melted chocolate; mix well. Stir in 1 cup Cool Whip; pour into prepared pan.
- Beat cream cheese, sugar and remaining milk with mixer until well blended. Stir in 1 cup of remaining Cool Whip; spread over pudding. Top with remaining lady fingers. Refrigerate 3 hours. Meanwhile, shave remaining chocolate square into curls.
- Invert torte onto a plate. Remove pan and plastic wrap. Top torte with remaining Cool Whip, berries and chocolate curls.
250 ml whipped cream can be substituted for Cool Whip.
- 2 lb prawns (16 to 25 count)
- 3 cups rice
- ¼ cup oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 5 cardamom pods
- 1 piece cinnamon stick
- 5 cloves
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 4 med potatoes
- 4 med onions sliced
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 bunch fresh Coriander leaves
- 1 bunch fresh dill weeds
- 2 jalapeño (or to taste)
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 2 tsp coriander & cumin powder(dhanajeera)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 3 tsp salt
- 1 can(397ml) coconut milk
- 2 fresh lemon
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- Peel the prawns and devein them. Add the juice of a lemon and 1 tsp salt and let it rest.
- Soak the rice in cold water.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them in quarters.
- In a large saucepan heat oil and add cumin seeds, cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks, cloves, black pepper, and onions. Fry till they are transparent.
- Meanwhile In a blender, blend tomatoes, half bunch coriander leaves and half a bunch dill weeds and jalapeño. Add this to the onions.
- Add coriander & cumin powder, turmeric powder, salt and coconut milk.
- Mix everything, turn down the heat to medium and let this simmer for about 15 minutes or the sauce is thick. Squeeze the juice of 1 lemon.
- Chop the coriander leaves and dill weeds and add this to the sauce.
- Rinse the rice with cold water.
- Take a third of the sauce out in another large saucepan. Add 41/2 cups of water and boil. Add the rice and potatoes. When the rice starts to boil turn the heat to low and cook covered till most of the water has evaporated. Sprinkle garam masala and put the saucepan in the preheated 350 degree oven for 15 minutes or till the rice is cooked and dry.
- Rinse the prawns with cold water, drain and add this to the rest of the sauce and cook for about 10 minutes or till the prawns are cooked. Prawns are cooked when they become pink and the prawns curls up into a round.
Serve rice on a platter and put the prawns on top.
Decorate it with chopped coriander leaves on it and lemon butterflies.
Chapatti is generally a South Asian bread made from stone ground whole meal flour, traditionally known as Atta flour. Chapattis are one of the most common forms in which wheat, the staple of northern South Asia, is consumed. Chapatti is a form of roti or rotta (bread). The words are often used interchangeably. While roti,rotta refers to any flat unleavened bread, chapati is a roti made of whole wheat flour and cooked on a tava (flat skillet).
A roadside chapatti stand in Indian Tava
Mandalay, Myanmar. .
Often, the top of a chapatti is slathered with butter or ghee (clarified butter). A piece of chapatti is torn off and used to pick up the meat or vegetable dish(es) that make the meal. It is folded into a sort of loose cone and used as a scoop to eat the more liquid dishes at a meal..
Chapatti sizes (diameter and thickness) vary from region to region and kitchen to kitchen. . Chapattis made in domestic kitchens are usually not larger than 6-7 inches in diameter since the ‘tava’ on which they are made comes in sizes that fit comfortably on a domestic stove top.
Tavas were traditionally made of unglazed earthenware, but are now typically made from metal. There are also electric tavas manufactured in India. The shape of the rolling pin also varies from region to region. Some households simply use a kitchen work top as a sort of pastry board, but many homes have round flat-topped ‘boards’ specifically for rolling out chapattis that may be made of wood or stone.
- 2 cup whole wheat flour
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- Put the flour in a medium bowl, add the oil and rub it in the flour.
- Add the water(you may need a little more) and make a firm dough. Transfer the dough on a floured board and kneed for about 2 minutes. Let it rest for 10 minutes. (If you let the dough rest, it is easier to roll).
- Divide the dough into 12 and make small balls.
- Roll each ball in flour, flatten the ball and roll it into an eight inch round.
- Cook this on a tava on both sides. (You have to turn it a couple of times on both sides)
- Brush the chapatti with butter or ghee.
Agar-agar is a natural vegetable gelatin substitute produced from a variety of seaweed vegetation. White and semi-translucent, it is sold in packages as washed and dried strips or in powdered form. Agar-agar is approximately 80% fiber, so it can serve as an intestinal regulator.
Agar Agar is sold in health food stores, Chinese grocery stores,and Indian stores, in both flake and powder varieties, and can be used in a variety of dairy-free and vegan recipes as a stabilizing and thickening agent for custards,puddings, sauces and even vegetarian marshmallows.
- 4 cups half and half
- 1 can (370 ml) evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup sugar (or to taste)
- 2-1/2 level tsp Agar agar powder
- 1/2 tsp crushed cardamom seeds
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1/8 tsp pink color
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds and pistachios
- Mix everything and boil it. When it starts to boil remove it from the stove, pour it in a serving bowl and cool it before you put it in the fridge.
- Decorate with almonds and pistachios before serving.
You can set this in a medium size bowl or 4- 8 oz bowls.
If you are using the grass agar agar, soak it in a cup of water for 2 hours, then boil it on medium heat until it completely dissolves and then add it to the warm milk and boil the mixture.
You can use 1/4 tsp saffron instead of the pink color.