- 2 lb prawns (16 to 25 count)
- 3 cups rice
- ¼ cup oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 5 cardamom pods
- 1 piece cinnamon stick
- 5 cloves
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 4 med potatoes
- 4 med onions sliced
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 bunch fresh Coriander leaves
- 1 bunch fresh dill weeds
- 2 jalapeño (or to taste)
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 2 tsp coriander & cumin powder(dhanajeera)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 3 tsp salt
- 1 can(397ml) coconut milk
- 2 fresh lemon
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- Peel the prawns and devein them. Add the juice of a lemon and 1 tsp salt and let it rest.
- Soak the rice in cold water.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them in quarters.
- In a large saucepan heat oil and add cumin seeds, cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks, cloves, black pepper, and onions. Fry till they are transparent.
- Meanwhile In a blender, blend tomatoes, half bunch coriander leaves and half a bunch dill weeds and jalapeño. Add this to the onions.
- Add coriander & cumin powder, turmeric powder, salt and coconut milk.
- Mix everything, turn down the heat to medium and let this simmer for about 15 minutes or the sauce is thick. Squeeze the juice of 1 lemon.
- Chop the coriander leaves and dill weeds and add this to the sauce.
- Rinse the rice with cold water.
- Take a third of the sauce out in another large saucepan. Add 41/2 cups of water and boil. Add the rice and potatoes. When the rice starts to boil turn the heat to low and cook covered till most of the water has evaporated. Sprinkle garam masala and put the saucepan in the preheated 350 degree oven for 15 minutes or till the rice is cooked and dry.
- Rinse the prawns with cold water, drain and add this to the rest of the sauce and cook for about 10 minutes or till the prawns are cooked. Prawns are cooked when they become pink and the prawns curls up into a round.
Serve rice on a platter and put the prawns on top.
Decorate it with chopped coriander leaves on it and lemon butterflies.