- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp clarified butter
- 1 small onion, finely diced(1/2 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1-1/2 cups White beans or small lima beans, soaked and drained
- 1-1/2 quarts chicken stock or water
- 1 carrot diced(1/2 cup)
- 1 celery rib, diced(1/2 cup)
- 1/2 tsp red pepper or ground red pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- In a heavy medium saucepan, heat the oil and butter togetherover medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook gently for about 2 minutes, stirring until they’re softened but not brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, beans and stock. Bring the soup to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Add the carrots, celery, and Turkish red pepper and cook for another 30 minutes, stirring frequently, until the beans are cooked.
- Season with salt and pepper. Bring the soup to a boil, then lower the heat, cover the saucepan, and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into individual bowls, sprinkle with chopped parsley, and serve.