Prep time: 15 min
Total: 45 min
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 6-in tortilla, cut into bite-sized strips
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 2 peppers, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp hot-red-chili flakes
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breasts or
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, excess fat
- 1 cup frozen corn nib lets
- 2 limes
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- Heat a very large, wide pot over medium heat. Add 2 tsp oil. Add tortilla strips. Cook, stirring frequently, until toasted, 2 to 3 min. Remove to a paper- towel-lined plate. Add remaining 1 tsp oil to pot. Add leek. Cook, stirring frequently, until leek softens slightly, 1 min. Add peppers and celery. Cook until vegetables begin to caramelize 12 min. Add garlic and cook 1 min. Stir in 3 cups of water and spices. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Stir in bouillon cube until dissolved. Add chicken. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked through, 6 min.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board. Using two forks, shred chicken. Then stir into soup along with corn. Cook until corn is hot, about 2 min. Stir in lime juice from one lime, along with cilantro.
- Serve soup garnish with tortilla strips.
- Soup keeps well in the refrigerator for 3 days or in the freezer for 1 month. If making ahead, stir in cilantro just before serving.
Bouillon cubes have just as much flavor as boxed chicken broth-and they’re more affordable and easier to store.