- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 large tomato
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp dhana Jeera
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp crushed garlic
- 1/2 tsp crushed ginger
- 1/2 tsp green chili paste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 lb fish
- Chopped cilantro for decoration.
- In a Medium sauce pan heat oil, add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves. When the seeds start to pop add the chopped tomatoes and the rest of the spices.
- Cover and let it simmer for 5 minutes, stirring a couple of times.
- Add a cup of water, when the water starts to boil add the fish, cover and cook for 5 minutes, till the fish is cooked. do not stir the fish, it will break.
- The fish will star to flakes, when it is done.
- Sprinkle cilantro on it before serving.
- Serve with rice.
You can use any fish for this, e.g. Tilapia, Halibut, Sable fish, Salmon or cod.
- 2 lbs Mogo(casava)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cans Coconut milk
- 1 chicken breast, cut into 1/2 inch cube
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp jeera(cumin)
- 1 jalepeno
- 1 small onion
- 1 small tomato
- 1 tbsp green masala
- 1 lemon/lime
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dhania
- In a medium saucepan, boil mogo in 4 cups water and salt. When mogo is soft, take it out and cut it into small pieces.
- Put the mogo back into the saucepan and add the coconut milk, let it cook on med heat.
- In a medium saucepan heat the oil. Add jeera and diced onion. Fry the onion, till they soft, add the tomatoes, green masala, and chicken and stir fry it for about 5 min.
- Add the chicken to the mogo, mix well, cook on low heat covered for about 5 min.
- Add lemon/lime juice and mix.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve.
You can leave the chicken out, if you want it Vegetarian.
You can substitute beef for chicken.
These cookies are filled with sweetened ground nuts and showered with snowy confectioners sugar.
- 2-1/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 2 large eggs separated(reserve the whites)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (1 3/4 oz) granulated sugar
- 2-1/2 cups(11 1/2 oz)walnuts
- 6 tbsp(2 5/8)oz granulated sugar
- reserved egg whites, from above
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and salt.
- Cut the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Add the sour cream, egg yolks, vanilla, and granulated sugar and mix well.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface or a piece of parchment paper, and kneed lightly to bring the dough together.
- Break off pieces of the dough (a scant tbsp each) and roll into 3/4” balls. Place the balls on a rimmed parchment lined baking sheet, cover, and refrigerate for at least an hour or overnight.
For the Filling
- Place the walnuts in the bowl of a food processor with the sugar. Process until the walnuts are quite fine. Add the egg whites and vanilla and pulse until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- Working with a few balls of dough at a time, flour your hands and press each into a rough oval. Roll out to 1/8” thick, about 3-1/2 long and 2” wide.
- Drop a rounded 1/2 tsp of the filling on one of the ends of the oval and spread it halfway up its length. Starting at the covered end, roll each up in a spiral.
- Transfer to the prepared baking sheets, seam side down.
- Bake for 22 to 24 minutes, or just until lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool on a rack.
- Sprinkle generously with confectioners’ sugar while still slightly warm.
Biriyani is a set of rice-based food made with spices, rice (usually basmati) and meat, fish, eggs or vegetables. The name is derived from the Persian word berya(n) which means “fried” or “roasted”. Biriyani originated in Iran.
The difference between Biriyani and pilau is that, pilau is made by cooking the items together and with biriyani, the rice is cooked separately from the rich sauce curry of meat or vegetables. The curry and the rice is then layered, resulting in a dish of contrasting flavours of flavored rice and rich flavoured sauce of meat or vegetables.
2 cups oil for frying
2 cups rice
2 tsp salt
Remove all the fat from the chicken and rinse it in cold water.
Peel the onions and slice it very thin. Add half an onion to the chicken.
In a large saucepan put the chicken, yoghurt, cumin seeds, black pepper, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon stick, green masala, chili powder, tomato paste and salt and mix everything together. Cook this on medium-high heat till the sauce has thickened and the chicken is almost cooked about 15 minutes.
Heat the oil in a frying pan. Peel the potatoes and cut them in quarters and deep fry them. Deep fry the onions till they are crispy and golden brown. Drain on paper towel.
Rinse the rice in cold water. Bring the water to a boil, add the salt and boil it for 10 minutes. The rice should not be cooked completely. Drain the rice and run it through cold water (to stop the rice from cooking more)
Add saffron to 1/2 cup of hot water.
Arrange the fried potatoes on the chicken, spread the fried onions and sprinkle the garam masala. Layer the rice on the chicken, sprinkle the saffron water and 1/4 cup of oil(use the oil from the frying pan).
Cover and bake it in a preheated oven for 1/2 hour, or till the rice is fluffy and cooked through. You should also get a nice aroma when you open the saucepan.
To serve, spread the rice in a platter and put the chicken on top.
Serve with kutchumber and carrot pickle.
- 1 chicken-cut up in 10 pieces
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chilli powder(or to taste)
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 oz butter
- 2 medium onions sliced thinly
- 4 oz almonds
- 8 oz prunes pitted
- 1 8 oz can tomato Sauce
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup Vinegar
- 2 tbsp sliced almonds
- Marinate chicken with salt, chilli powder, garlic and ginger for 1 hour.
- Bake the chicken in the oven at 350 degrees.
- Heat the oil and butter in a saucepan and fry the onions till they are Golden Brown.
- Add the prunes and almonds and fry for a minute.
- Add the tomato sauce and cook for about 5 mins, on med heat,
till the oil separates.
- Add chicken pieces, sugar and vinegar and cook till the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is thick. About 10 mins.
- Sprinkle with sliced almonds before serving.
Serve with Naan, french bread/saffron rice.
Paya is a traditional food from the Indian Subcontinent.
Paya is a soup made with Lamb or Mutton trotters. Paya means leg in Hindi.
It is also served at various festivals and gatherings, or made for special guests. Paya
is served for breakfast or brunch and is served with bread or Naan.
- 5 lbs Paya
- 10 cloves
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 cardamom
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 lbs sliced onions
- 1.5 lbs tomatoes
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger
- 2 jalepino chopped
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tbsp dhana jeera
- 1/2 tsp haldi
- 1 can tomato puree(6 oz)
- 2 tsp salt
- juice of lemon/lime
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Rinse paya in cold water and put it in a large saucepan with 4 cups of water. When it starts to boil, remove it from the heat, drain it and rinse the paya. Return it in the saucepan.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, add 5 lt of water and bring it to boil, lower the temperature to med, and cook it for an hour, to till everything starts to fall apart.
- Add lemon juice,
- Sprinkle it with cilantro and garam masala before serving.
Serve it with french bread/naan.
You can slow cook the paya in a preheated 350 degree the oven for 2 hrs.
Bring the paya to a boil. drain, and rinse it. Add the rest of the ingredients and pressure cook for 40 minutes
Tapioca is a starch extracted from cassava root. It is a staple food fo millions of people in tropical countries but does not have much nutritional value and is low in food energy. In developed countries it is used as a thickening agent. You can buy tapioca in any asian grocery store. You can buy ready to use tapioca pudding in any grocery store.
- 2 cans pineapple crushed or Tidbits(398 ml)
- 1/2 cup sugar(or to taste)
- 2 cups homo milk or half and half
- 1 tbsp custard powder
- 1/2 cup tapioca
- 2 cups water
- 1 pkt frozen young coconut(thawed)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cans evaporated milk
- Drain the pineapple and put it in a medium size saucepan. Add the sugar and cook it on med-hot heat stirring occasionally till the liquid evaporates and the pineapple has caramelized. It will change colour to light gold, about 15 minutes.
- Heat 2 cups of milk in the microwave. Mix the custard powder in a 1/4 cup milk, add this to the hot milk, mix and microwave for 2 1/2 minutes. Stir it and microwave again for 2 1/2 minutes. The custard should be thick.
- Mix the tapioca in 2 cups hot water and coconut milk. Microwave for 5 minutes, mix and microwave for another five minuts5 minutes.
- In a large bowl mix the pineapple, custard, tapioca, young coconut and evaporated milk and refrigerate for 5 hours or overnight.
- Serve it cold sprinkles with nuts.
- Note: You can substitute 2 cans tapioca pudding for tapioca and evaporated milk.
Bisques and chowders are two types of thick soup. Bisque is generally smooth while chowder is chunky. Both have a history with seafood – the word chowder comes from the french word for cauldron in which fishermen made their stew, but both words are often used to describe non-seafood dishes as well.
- 6 tbsp canola oil
- 3 large yellow onions, diced medium
- 3 large carrots, diced medium
- 6 stalks celery, diced medium
- 1 lb potatoes, diced medium
- 5 cups water
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/2 cup roasted garlic*
- 1 small roasted red bell pepper peeled**
- 3 cups whipping cream
- 1 lb fresh Salmon, Halibut or ling code, boneless, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 tbsp chipotle chili
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- Heat 4 tbsps of the oil in a large heavy-bottom saucepan.Stir in all but 2 tbsps of the chopped onions as well as all the carrots and celery, (set the onions aside for now). Cook for 25 minutes or until tender.
- Add the potatoes, water, dried spices, bring to a simmer and cook uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, use a food processor to puree the roasted garlic and red pepper. Add to the soup along wth the cream.
- Heat the remaining 2 tbsps oil in a medium heavy bottom frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the fresh salmon, chopped onions and chipotle puree. Sure for 4-5 mins, then transfer to the soup pot.
- Simmer for 5 min. or until the chowder is hot throughout, then serve, garnish each bowl with a little chopped dill.
* To roast a whole garlic, preheat the oven to 400 degree, slice the paper end of the build, exposing the top of the garlic cloves. Drizzle lightly with olive oil, wrap tightly in aluminum foil, and bake for 20-25 mins,, until soft.
**To roast bell peppers, preheat the broiler in your oven, then core each pepper and slice it into quarters. Place the pieces skin side up on a baking sheet and slide it under the broiler, roasting until the skin is blackened. Pop the blackened peppers into a bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and steam for 20 min. Remove the skins. they should slide off easily.
Substitue corn for salmon
Asian Sesame Salad Dressing
- 1 cup rice Vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 tsp sesame seed oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sesame seeds, toasted
Mix everything together and use as needed
Creamy Lime – Cilantro Dressing
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream(plain greek yoghurt can be substituted)
- 4 tbsp lime juice(fresh or bottled
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp sugar
Mix everything together
Creamy Carrot and Onion Dressing
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 large sweet or red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup extra virgin oil
- 1 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
Combine all ingredients in a blender and puree at high speed until smooth. Store in a covered jar in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
Greek Salad Dressing
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup extra virgin oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar(white vinegar)
- 1 minced garlic grated
- pinch salt and pepper
- 2 pinches of basil and oregano
Mix together in a blender.