Mulligatawny is a a traditional curry soup with origins in India. It is satisfying, comforting and delicious mildly spiced and creamy, perfect for a cold day, serve with a dollop of sour cream
This soup is popular in South India
- 2 level tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 level tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 level tbsp aniseed seed
- 1/4 level tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 1″ cinnamon sticks
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp green masala
- 5 oz masoor daal, washed
- 3 large tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 lt water(4 cups)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 3 tbsp cooked rice
- lemon juice to taste
- 1 tsp salt
- Dry roast the corriander seeds, cumin seeds, aniseeds, fenugreek seeds and cinnamon stickes in the microwave for 1 minutes, till they release the aroma. Stir after 30 seconds.
- Grind into a powder in a small grinder or with a mortar and pestle.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the onions, carrots, green masala, and fry 2 minutes.
- Add the dal, tomatoes, ground roasted spices, turmeric powder and the water.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Pour into a blender or food processor and blend.
- Add the coconut milk, cooked rice, lemon juice, and salt to the soup
- Serve hot with a toast or cracker.
Variation: You can add chicken pieces to the soup before you serve. Add chicken stock instead of water.