The base is made with roasted potato slices that are topped with a crunchy walnut taco meat,
cashew sour cream, and salsa. If you do not have time to layer everything individually,
try plating the potato crisps on a large platter and layer everything all at once.
The walnut taco meat and cashew sour cream can be made a day or two in advance to save
some time. The crisps also make a fun and kid approved dinner.
- 2 russet potatoes, sliced into 1/4” slices
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil(or oil of your choice)
- Fine grain sea salt and freshly ground pepper
For the Walnut Taco Meat
- 1 cup walnuts toasted, (if preferred)
- 1 – 1/2 tsp chili ipowder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp fine grain salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 recipe cashew sour cream(recipe to follow)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup salsa
- 2 – 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- freshly ground pepper
Make the Potato Crisps
- Pre heat the oven to 425 degree.
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the potato slices in a single layer on the baking sheet and drizzle them with oil.
- Rub the potatoes to disperse the oil evenly.
- Sprinkle the potatoes generously with salt and pepper.
- Roast the potatoes for 30 – 35 minutes, flipping them once halfway through, until tender and lightly browned.
- Allow the potatoes to cool for 5 minutes before assembling.
Make the Walnut Taco Meat:
In a mini food processor, combine the walnuts, oil, chili powder, cumin, salt, and cayenne and process
into a fine crumble.(You can also chop and mix the ingredients by hand if preferred) Set side.
Top each potato slice with 1 teaspoon of the Cashew Sour Cream, followed by about 1 teaspoon each of
Walnut Taco Meat and salsa.
Cashew Cream can be used in a variety of recipes as a substitute for dairy or even sour cream.
In a bowl, combine 1 cup raw cashews and enough water to cover them and soak for 8 hours or overnight
(for a quick soak method, put the cashews in a bowl, pour boiling hot water over them until the cashews are covered,
and soak for 2 hours). Drain and rinse the cashews and transfer them to a blender with 1/2 to 1 cup water. Less
water will give you a thicker sauce. Blend on high speed until the cream is smooth. If using the cashew cream for savoury
recipe, add a pinch of salt, if desired.
To make Cashew Sour Cream:
Add the following ingredients to the blender with the cashews and water and blend on high speed until smooth.
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt, or to taste.