This recipe I found in Australian Woman’s weekly in 2015. Amina Elshafei’s recipe reflects her dad’s Egyptian and mum’s Korean Heritage.
She writes “Growing up,I learnt one important lesson at the dinning table – never to underestimate the importance of food in life.
I am very blessed to have been brought up in a household where sharing food is never considered just as a means of sustaining life, but rather as an enjoyable experience that continues to create more stories”
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped lemongrass
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 2 lbs minced lamb
- 3 green onions chopped coarsely
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1/4 tsp sesame oil
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp mint leaves
Sweet Lime Dressing
- 1/4 cup sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat; cook the onion, lemongrass, garlic and ginger, stirring for 4 minutes or until onions are soft. Cool.
- Combine onion mixture in a large bowl with lamb, green onions, sauces, sesame oil, egg and breadcrumbs. Shape mixture into 12 patties; cook, in batches. over medium heat, in a large oiled frying pan until browned and cooked through.
- Meanwhile boil, steam or microwave rice until tender; drain.
Sweet Chilli Lime Dressing:
- Combine ingredients in a screw-top jar; shakewell.
Serve it with rice or
With fries and salad