Thepla is a deep fried sweet crispy puri , very popular in parts of India and Pakistan. It is made with whole wheat flour and goor. Goor is natural sugar. Goor can be found in an Indian grocery store.
You will find many different recipes for thepla, I like this recipe which was given to me by my friend Gulzar.
- 8 oz goor
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups whole wheat flour (superstore No Name)
- 1 cup soji (wheatlets)
- 1 cup brown sugar (dark brown)
- 3/4 cup butter (melted)
- ¼ tsp elchi(cardamom) seeds crushed
- 1 tbsp viriyari crushed
- 2 tbsp kas kas (white poppy seeds)
- 6 cups oil for frying
- In a medium saucepan boil the water and goor till the goor melts
- In a mixing bowl add flour, soji, brown sugar, elechi, viriyari.
- Rub in margarine till the mixture looks like bread crumbs.
- Add goor pani a little at a time and make a stiff dough.
- Divide the dough into 4 and make a ball.
- Roll the dough in kas kas and flatten it.
- Roll each ball on a floured surface to a ¼ “ thickness.
- Cut with a cookie cutter.
- Deep fry on medium heat till they are golden brown.
- Drain on paper towel.