Makes 15 pieces
- 5 cups Chana flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup homo milk
- 4 cups butter
- 1 cup powdered milk
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp crushed cardomon seeds
- Few strands of saffron
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup slivered pistachio
- 2 tbsp white poppy seeds(kas kas)
- The night before, melt 1/2 cup butter, add 1/2 cup homo milk and rub it into to flour. It should resemble bread crumbs.
- In the morning, melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, add the flour and fry it it till the mixture turns golden.( the mixture will bubble).
- Add the powder milk and cook for a few minutes about 5 minutes and the mixture is brown.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the evaporated milk in a steady stream, stirring all the time. The mixture will become thick. Return the mixture to the stove on low heat.
- Make a syrup with sugar and water. Boil till the mixture is thick and makes 1 string.
- Pour this syrup in the flour mixture and mix well.
- Add nutmeg, cardomon and saffron.
- Pour the mixture into a 10 x 12 baking tray and spread it evenly.
- Decorate with almonds, pistachio and poppy seeds.
- Cut into squares when cooled.