The spilt pigeon peas provides protein, and the rice provides carbohydrates. Make this a more balance meal with a vegetable curry and or Kadhi and carrot pickle.
- 1/2 cup tovar ni Daal( split pigeon pea)
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 whole elichi (green cardamon)
- 5 laving(cloves)
- 1/4 tsp jeera(cumin)
- 1/4 tsp Mari(black pepper)
- 1 1” stick cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp Green Masala
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp haldi(turmeric powder)
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- Rinse and soak the Daal in cold water for at least and hr, if not more.
- Rinse and soak the rice in cold water for about half an hour.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil. Add elichi, laving, jeera, mari and cinnamon stick.
- Add the green masala and stir for a minute.
- Add the daal and stir for a few minutes, add the salt and haldi.
- Add the hot water and bring to a boil, add the drained rice, mix, cover and cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes or till most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Sprinkle with garam masala and bake in a preheated 300 degree oven for 10 minutes or lower the heat to low (mark 2) and let it cook on the stove top.
- Serve with Kadhi and or vegetable curry.