This cake is rich, each serving is 487 cal. and it is time consuming but it is worth making it.
I found this recipe in the First Magazine a few years ago.
Work Time 2 hours
Total Time 4 hours
- 2-1/2 tsp instant espresso
- or coffee
- 2 cups cake flour
- 3 -1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1-1/4 tsp. baking powder
- pinch salt
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2-1/2 tsp vanilla
- 15 tbsp butter
- 12 oz semisweet chocolate
- 3 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 2 – 9 inch cake pans.
- Dissolve espresso in 1 cup hot water. Cool
- Combine flour, 1-1/2 cups sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and 3/4 tsp. salt.
- Add espresso, 2 eggs, the sour cream, butter and 1 tsp vanilla.
- Beat on medium speed 2 minutes.
- Pour into pans.
- Bake until cake pulls away from sides of pan, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool on the racks 10 minutes.
- Remove from the pans.
- Cool completely.
- Chop 9 oz semisweet chocolate and the unsweetened chocolate.
- Melt 12 tbsp butter over low heat. Turn off the heat, stir in chopped chocolate until smooth.
- Separate remaining 6 eggs.
- Gradually beat 3/4 cup sugar into yolks. Slowly beat in 1 tsp vanilla and the chocolate mixture.
- Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt they hold soft peaks. Gradually beat in 6 tbsp of the sugar and continue beating to stiff peaks.
- Gently fold the whites into the chocolate mixture.
- Beat 3/4 cup of cream until almost stiff and fold into the chocolate mixture.
- Set aside 4 cups of this mousse.
- Refrigerate the remaining mousse.
To Assemble the cake
- Cut the cakes in half horizontally to make 4 thin layers.
- Put two layers on separate plates. Spread each with 2 cups of reserved mousse. Chill until firm, about 20 minutes or freeze 10 minutes.
- Top each with a second cake layer and refrigerate.
- Beat remaining 1/4 cup cream with 1/4 cup sugar and 1/ tsp vanilla until stiff.
- Spread the whipped cream over one of the layered cakes. Chili until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Top with the second layered cake . Chili until firm, at least 20 minutes.
- Stir the remaining mousse to soften and spread over top and sides of cake.
- Melt the remaining 3 oz semisweet chocolate with the remaining 3 tbsp butter over low heat.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate over the top and around the edge of the cake.
For the strawberry Jelly
- 1-1/2 lb strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cold water + 3 tbsp
- 2 lemons(juice of lemons)
- 1-3/4 tsp unflavored gelatin
For the Panna Cotta
- 2 cups Homo milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2-1/2 tsp unflavored gelatin
- 3 tbsp cold water
1 Sheet Pound Cake
- Puree strawberries, sugar, and 1/2 cup water in a food processor.
- Press through a fine sieve into a bowl.
- Stir in lemon juice. (You should have 2 cups of liquid).
- Sprinkle gelatin over remaining 3 tbsp water, and let stand until softened, about 5 min.
- Heat half cup strawberry puree in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add softened gelatin, stirring, to dissolve.
- Stir into remaining strawberry puree.
- Divide among 8 six oz rounded teacups or ramekins.
- Refrigerate until almost set, about 1 hour.
Instructions for Panna Cotta
- Stir together milk, cream, sugar and vanilla in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer.
- Remove from the heat,, and let it stand for about 10 min.
- Sprinkle gelatin over cold water, and let stand until softened, about 5 min.
- Bring milk mixture to a simmer.
- Add softened gelatin and stir until it dissolves.
- Strain through sieve set over a bowl of ice-water bath.
- Stir in vanilla essence.
- Let cool, stirring until just beginning to set, 10 – 15 min.
- Divide among teacups.
- Cut 8 rounds of pound cake to fit into the teacups and place 1 inside each cup.
- Refrigerate until set. 8 hrs or overnight.
- To serve dip teacups in hot water, 15 sec until gelatin loosens, and invert quickly.
- Serve with fresh strawberries.