Makes 1 doz
- 1/2 lb Fish fillet (you can use any fish – I have used salmon)
- 1/2 lb potatoes
- 1 tbsp finely sliced green onions
- 1 tsp green masala*
- 1 tsp salt(or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground cumin
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- lemon juice
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Lay the fish in a fry pan and pour 1/2 cup water on it. Bring this to a boil, lower the heat and simmer it for 5 min. Let it rest for 10 min in the fry pan.
- Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and cube them into an even-sized chunks. Put them in a saucepan, cover it with water and add 1/2 tsp salt. Bring to a boil and then simmer it for 10 mins or until tender, but not broken.
- Take the fish out of the water and mash it with a fork.
- Drain the potatoes and mash it with a fork.
- In a small bowl mix the fish, potatoes and the next 7 ingretients. Using your hands, gently mix everything together.
- Divide the mixture into 12, make a round ball, coat it with bread crumbs and flatten it to make a patty.
- Crack an egg in a small bowl, add a tble spoon of water and beat it with a fork.
- On med-hot heat, heat the oil in a small frypan, dip the cakes in the egg and shallow fry the cakes on each side about 2 mins till they are golden brown.
Remove from the oil, drain it on paper towel and serve with a chutney.
Fish Cakes before frying
- 1 oz garlic
- 1 oz ginger
- 1 hot pepper
- handful cilantro
Blend everything together to a fine paste.
Use as needed.