- 1 lb all purpose flour
- 1/2 lb butter
- 1 cup water
- 4 oz cheddar cheese grated medium fine
- 1/4 tsp celery seeds(optional)
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 beaten egg
- 2 oz parmigiano cheese grated medium fine
- Add the flour in a medium size bowl.
- Divide the butter in four.
- Cut one portion into small pea size pieces. Rub this into the flour. Place the rest of the butter in a cool place until required. (You can grate the butter if you want).
- Make a well in the centre of the flour and add the water, mix to a fairly stiff dough, using a fork.
- Sprinkle board, rolling pin and your hands with flour. turn out dough on to the board and sprinkle with flour again.
- Knead dough briskly at least 5 minutes until smooth and silky.
- Sprinkle the dough with flour, cover with a damp cloth, and leave to rest on the board for about 10 minutes.
- First rolling: Roll out the dough to an oblong strip about 10” to 12”.
- Dab the top 2/3 of the dough with 1/2 x 1/4 inch pieces of butter, keeping the pieces in rows and leaving a 1/2” margin all around.
- Fold the uncovered 1/3 of the dough upwards and the top 1/3 downwards and over the bottom fold.
- With the rolling pin, lightly press the 3 open edges together to seal.
- Second rolling: Brush of any surplus flour. Turn the dough so that the longer sealed edge is on the left.
- Roll out the dough to a 10 x 12 inch strip.
- Dab on third portion of the butter, as for the second portion. Fold and seal edges as before. Plastic wrap the dough or put the dough in a plastic bag and refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Third rolling: as for the second rolling using the last portion of the butter. Rest as before.
- Fourth rolling, as for the 2nd rolling, sprinkle grated cheese, celery seeds and red chilli powder on the top 2/3 of the dough and fold it in 1/3 as before. Let it rest as before.
- Fifth Rolling: Roll out to 1/4 “ thick, brush the pastry with a beaten egg, sprinkle with parmigiano cheese. With a pastry wheel or a sharp knife cut into strips or square to the desired size. Space 1/2 inch apart on a baking sheet. refrigerate for 30 min.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 15 minutes till the cookies are golden brown and cooked through.
If you do not want to make the pastry, you can buy the frozen puff pastry from the grocery store.
do Step 16 and 17.
Khara Biscuit: Roll the pastry 5 times, cut it into desired shape and bake.
Mix 2 oz brown sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon powder.
Using a pastry wheel or a sharp knife cut dough into 1/2 x 12 inch strips; twist into spirals.
Space 1/2 inch apart on a baking sheet.
Press ends onto the sheets to prevent straws from straightening. Refrigerate for 30 mins.
Bake as above.