You can buy the pastry or make your own. You will find the pastry in the freezer in the grocery store.
Short crust Pastry
- 1 lb all purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 lb butter
- 4 tbsp cold water
- 2 carrots, sliced down the middle
- 2 large potatoes, scrubbed and cut in half
- 1 large (swede) rutabaga, cut into wedges
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut in half
- Sea salt flakes
- freshly ground black pepper to season
- 12 oz ground lamb
- 1 oz butter
- 1 large brown onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 oz frozen peas
- 2 eggs
- 5 oz cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
Short Crust Pastry
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the flour and the salt.
- Cut butter into small pieces, (about 1/2 inch cubed), and rub into the flour. The mixture should be like bread crumbs.
- Stir into the mixture with the a fork.
- Form the pastry into a ball with your finger tips.(you may need a little more water)
- Lightly flour the rolling pin and board.
- Turn out the pastry on to the board, and with light, quick, forward strokes roll out to the thickness required.
- Cut and use the pastry as directed by the recipe.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 2 large oven baking trays with baking paper.
- Put vegetables in a large bowl, drizzle with a generous amount of oil, season and toss to coat. Transfer to a large baking dish and roast for 60 minutes.., or until tender, turning vegetables a few times. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Roughly dice vegetables. Increase oven to 200 degrees C fan forced(400 degree F)(220 degrees C conventional, 425 degrees F) Put a medium pan over medium heat. Add a little oil and ground meat, and cook, breaking up, until brown and crisp. Drain off any excess oil and transfer to a large bowl.
- Put a medium saucepan over low heat,; Add a little oil, butter, onion, garlic and season. Cook gently for 10 minutes, until softened. Add onion mixture, peas, 1 whisked egg and cheese to ground meat and stir to combine. Gently mix diced vegetables through.
- Divide dough evenly into 10 pieces. On a clean, dry bench, roll out each piece into a circle, about 18cm-dia.(8inches) Brush circles with remaining whisked egg, place filling in centre of each and bring edges together, crimping pasties closed. Move to the trays, brush with egg and sprinkle over sesame seeds. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden.
Note: I rolled out the pastry to 1/4” thick and cut a 5” round, to make smaller pasties.
You can buy frozen short crust pastry from the frozen section in a grocery store.