This recipe uses brown sugar and you can decorate the centre with a blanched almond.
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup milk powder
- 1 cup sojee
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp crushed elechi
- 1 tsp crushed viriyari
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup kas kas (poppy seeds)
- 6 cups oil for frying
- 40 blanched almonds (optional)
- 2 tbsp white flour
- 4 tbsp water
Mix it together and make a paste.
- In a bowl add the whole wheat flour, powder milk, sojee, brown sugar elechi, viriyari.
- Cut the butter in small pieces and rub it in the flour mixture.
- Add the milk and make a dough. Divide the dough into 4 and make 4 balls.
- Flatten the ball and sprinkle with kas kas.
- Roll the flattened ball to 1/4” thickness.
- Cut the rolled dough with a 5” cookie cutter.
- Dip the blanched almond in the paste and stick it in the centre of the round.
- Deep fry in medium hot oil for about 5 min turning once.
- Drain on paper towel.
If you are not using almonds for decoration, you can make the theplas smaller.
Theplas can be stored in an airtight container for a week.