This recipe uses brown sugar and you can decorate the centre with a blanched almond.
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup milk powder
- 1 cup sojee
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp crushed elechi
- 1 tsp crushed viriyari
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup kas kas (poppy seeds)
- 6 cups oil for frying
- 40 blanched almonds (optional)
- 2 tbsp white flour
- 4 tbsp water
Mix it together and make a paste.
- In a bowl add the whole wheat flour, powder milk, sojee, brown sugar elechi, viriyari.
- Cut the butter in small pieces and rub it in the flour mixture.
- Add the milk and make a dough. Divide the dough into 4 and make 4 balls.
- Flatten the ball and sprinkle with kas kas.
- Roll the flattened ball to 1/4” thickness.
- Cut the rolled dough with a 5” cookie cutter.
- Dip the blanched almond in the paste and stick it in the centre of the round.
- Deep fry in medium hot oil for about 5 min turning once.
- Drain on paper towel.
If you are not using almonds for decoration, you can make the theplas smaller.
Theplas can be stored in an airtight container for a week.
10 thoughts on “Thepla 2”
Can you make this without milk powder ?
Love your recipes!
Do you have a recipe for jugu cake?
Thank you. I will send you the recipe for Jugu Cake soon.
WOULD LIKE TO TRY THIS AS I DON’T LIKE EGGS CAN I USE GHEE OR OIL INSTEAD OF BUTTER
NEW TO YOUR SITE
Yes, you can use either. I prefer ghee to oil.
sorry, I can’t find pedra recipe. Please could you direct me to it? Thank you.
What kind of milk and can you use cold or warm milk
Use Homo milk or evaporated milk. either is fine. Use it cold.