Recently I was in London England and Pili Pili Mogo was very popular in the Indian Cafes. Moto is a is a street food in E. Africa. I came home and tried to make it, it is very similar to what I had.
- 2 lbs mogo(cassava)
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cups oil for frying
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic
- 1/4 cup tomato ketchup
- 1/4 cup chilli sauce(or to taste
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp finely diced onions
- 1 tbsp finely diced red or yellow peppers
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- In a medium saucepan boil the water with the salt.
- Add the mogo and boil it for 10 minutes.
- Remove the mogo from the water, let it cool.
- Cut them in slices about 3/4” wide.
- Heat the oil in a deep frypan or a wok and fry a few chips at a time, fry them till they are light gold in colour and crisp on the outside.
- Just before serving tamper it.
- In a medium saucepan heat the oil, add the curry leaves and rye(mustard seeds), When the seeds start to pop add the rest of the ingredients, cook on medium heat for about 3 minutes stirring continuously.
- Add the fried mogo and gently mix it till the mogo is coated with the sauce.
- Serve on a plate sprinkled with chopped onions, peppers and cilantro.
- Serve it with Tamarind Chutney.