Inspired by Beef Wellington, the clasic of the 1960s , this mini make-ahead version has fewer steps and ingredients.
- 3 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme(or 1 tsp dried)
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- 12 oz beef tenderloin premium oven roast. cut in1” cubes
- 1 pkg(450g) frozen butter puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg
- In bowl, mix together mustard, thyme, salt and pepper, add beef, tossing to coat.
- On lightly floured surface, roll out 1 of the pastry to 12” square, cut into 16 squares. Repeat with remaining pastry.
- Lay 1 piece mustard-coated beef in centre of each square. Brush edge with water. Bring up corners and pinch together in centre, pinch sides closed. Place on parchment paper-lined or greased baking sheet. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.(Make ahead. Cover and refrigerate for up to 12 hours).
- Beat egg with 2 tsp water; brush over pastry. Bake in 425 degree F(200 degree C) oven until golden brown and puffed, about 15 minutes.
- Serve warm.
- Serve with horseradish sauce.