- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 1 cup tapioca
- 21/2 cups water
- 21/2 cups sugar
- 21/2 cups butter
- 1/4 tsp crushed elechi seeds
- 1/4 tsp jiefer powder
- 1/4 tsp saffron
- 1/4 tsp orange colour
- 1 lb nuts, slivered almonds, pistachio, cashew
- Soak starch overnight in 2 1/2 cups water.
- Grease a 9in sandwich pan or a jello mould or small moulds.
- Sprinkle the bottom of the dish with 1/5 of the nuts.
- In the morning add the sugar and melted butter and the rest of the ingredients except the nuts.
- Mix well and cook on med to high heat, stirring frequently. The mixture will start to thicken and the butter will start to separate. Add 3/4 of the nuts, mix well and cook on medium heat, stirring continuously till the mixture thickens up and leaves the side of the pan.
- You can remove the extra butter, pour the rest in the dish and let it cool down completely.
- Turn the halwa on the serving dish and serve.
- This halwa tastes good a little warm. Warm it in a microwave.
- Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- When the halwa starts to thicken, put the saucepan in the oven, stir it every 10 min. It will take about 45 minutes to cook.