- 1/ 4 cup warm water
- 1 heaped tsp sugar
- 1 heaped tsp yeast
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp unsweetened coconut
- 1 tbsp spoon sugar
- 6-8 strands saffron
- 1/2 tsp cardamom seeds
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- Put warm water in a bowl. Add the sugar and sprinkle the yeast. Let rest covered, until it forms, 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl rub oil into the flour. Add sugar, saffron, cardamom and yeast mixture. Kneed into a soft dough using coconut milk. (The dough should feel like the inside of the fat part of your leg).
- Let rest covered until double in size. About an hour.
- Punch it down, make a ball and place it in a 9″ round, greased cake pan.
- When doubled in size, flatten to the size of the pan.
- Let rest and when it rises again, brush with egg and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Bake at 350 degree s for 1/2 hour or until golden brown.
Serve it with kaliyo.
You can omit the coconut and use yoghurt instead of coconut milk.