Birthdays are a time to express affection and thanks to those we love.
Today we express our love and gratitude to the Imam on his 84th birthday. We would have started with a devotional program, flag raising ceremony and a breakfast in Jamat Khana, but due to covid we can not get together.
The breakfast would be paratha and sambar, raita, some kind of a square/cake and chai.
In the evening we would have Thal sufro and Gatpat and then have cake and sorbet and entertainment, dandiya ras. This year we are celebrating virtually from
our living room. There is all kinds of entertainment and program on the Ismaili T.V. I am sure the immediate family will share a meal together. We would have
shared a meal in Jamat Khana yesterday evening with live entertainment, mehindi(henna) dandia and ras.
Back in the days when the jamat was small, cake and Khadho(Saffron Milk) was served after khana. Now we serve Sherbat and cake.
Khadho is a hot drink, popular in India and Pakistan, it is usually flavoured with cardamon, nutmeg and saffron, making it very aromatic and flavourful. It is sprinkled with almonds and pistachio.. It is a celebration drink. It is served at parties, engagements, weddings, Birthdays and announcing the birth of a child. It is a very delicious drink but at the same time it is also rich both in texture and also in calories. It is not something you drink everyday.
Sherbat is a Milk shake(cold drink) flavoured with rose essence, Takmaria(basil seeds) and almonds and pistachios. It is a celebratory drink and is served at wedding and parties, Eid and Khushiyali.
Since we are celebrating Salgirah Khusiyali on the 13December 2020, and are celebrating virtually, I made a Pistachio Cannoli Cake, Khadho and Sherbat for my family.
- 1 lt Homo milk
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1/2 can evaporated milk or (sugar to taste)
- 1/4 tsp freshly crushed Cardamon seeds
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 20 strands of saffron
- 1 oz each sliced almonds and pistachio
- In a coffee grinder, or a mortar and pestle, crush cardamom seeds, nutmeg and saffron into a powder.
- In a medium saucepan, over medium high heat bring the milk to a boil, stirring constantly so that the milk does not burn.
- As soon as the milk reaches a boil, reduce the heat to low, add evaporated milk, condensed milk and the spices and cook over low heat for 5 min. stirring continuously.
- Pour it into cups, sprinkle with almonds and pistachio and serve.