- 1 cup hot water
- 3/4 cup fancy molasses
- 1-1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp ginger
- 2 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
Cream Cheese icing
- 1 250 g-package cream cheese(room temperature)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1-3/4 cup 35% cream
- Position rack in centre of oven, then preheat oven to 350 degree.
- Spray 3 9-inch round cake pans with butter or pam spray and line the bottoms with parchment paper.
- Whisk hot water with molasses in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Whisk in baking soda. Set aside.
- Whisk flour, ground ginger, pumpkin spice, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Whisk eggs, oil and sugar in a large bowl. Whisk in molasses mixture. Gradually whisk in flour mixture just until smooth.
- Divide batter amongst prepared pans.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean, 20-25 minutes.
- Cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Run a knife around edge of pans and turn out onto rack. Remove parchment and cool completely, about an hour.
Cream Cheese Icing
- Beat cream cheese with 1/3 cup sugar in a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium, until sugar dissolves and mixture is smooth, 1-2 minutes. Reduce speed to low and slowly add cream until combined.
- Increase speed to medium-high and beat until stiff peaks form,, about 3 minutes.
- Scoop 1 cup icing into a piping bag fitted with a 1/2in or 1in star tip.
- Add a dollop of icing in the centre of a serving plate.
- Spread one-third of the icing overtop. Add second cake layer.
- Spread half of the remaining icing overtop . Add the third cake layer.
- Spread remaining icing on top and thinly on the sides of the cake.(you want to see the cake through the icing)
Pipe 12 rosettes along the top edge of the cake and top with gingerbread cookies.
Cake can be made 2 days ahead. Wrap in plastic wrap. Make icing just before serving.