These cookies are filled with sweetened ground nuts and showered with snowy confectioners sugar.
- 2-1/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 2 large eggs separated(reserve the whites)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (1 3/4 oz) granulated sugar
- 2-1/2 cups(11 1/2 oz)walnuts
- 6 tbsp(2 5/8)oz granulated sugar
- reserved egg whites, from above
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and salt.
- Cut the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Add the sour cream, egg yolks, vanilla, and granulated sugar and mix well.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface or a piece of parchment paper, and kneed lightly to bring the dough together.
- Break off pieces of the dough (a scant tbsp each) and roll into 3/4” balls. Place the balls on a rimmed parchment lined baking sheet, cover, and refrigerate for at least an hour or overnight.
For the Filling
- Place the walnuts in the bowl of a food processor with the sugar. Process until the walnuts are quite fine. Add the egg whites and vanilla and pulse until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- Working with a few balls of dough at a time, flour your hands and press each into a rough oval. Roll out to 1/8” thick, about 3-1/2 long and 2” wide.
- Drop a rounded 1/2 tsp of the filling on one of the ends of the oval and spread it halfway up its length. Starting at the covered end, roll each up in a spiral.
- Transfer to the prepared baking sheets, seam side down.
- Bake for 22 to 24 minutes, or just until lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool on a rack.
- Sprinkle generously with confectioners’ sugar while still slightly warm.