Muthiya is a wholesome dish with lots of vegetables, meat and the dumplings. It takes longer to make it but it is very tasty.
If you can not find a vegetable just omit it. You will find all the frozen Indian vegetables in an Indian grocery store.
Muthiya are little dumplings the size of your fist made with Bajro(millet flour)
Serves 8 Ingredients
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1″ piece cinnamon stick
- 5 cloves
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 5 cardamom
- 3 medium onions
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 tbsp dhana jeera
- 1/2 tsp haldi (turmeric)
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tbsp Green Masala
- 1 pkt frozen spinach (300 gm)
- 2 lbs beef, cut into 1” cubes
- 1 cup boiled chana
- 1 cup boiled bharazi(pigeon peas)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 pkt frozen govar(cluster beans)
- 1 pkt frozen saragwo (drum sticks)
- 1 medium egg plant, cut into 1” cubes
- 3 medium potatoes, cut into half
- 1 tsp citric acid or
- 2 lemons(juice)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 cups bajra nu atta (millet flour)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp green masala
- 1 tbsp finely ground coconut
- 1/2 tsp chopped cilantro
- 3/4 cup cold water
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil. Add cinnamon, cloves, black pepper, cumin, and cardamom. Add the sliced onions and fry them stirring till they are golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, dhana jeera, turmeric, red chilli and green masala and let it cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the spinach and beef, mix and let it cook for about 15 minutes. The meat will have changed colour, but will not be soft. Add the chana, bharazi and the rest of the ingredients and bring it to a boil about 15 minutes.
- Add the salt and mix.
- Meanwhile In a medium bowl add everything for Muthiya except oil and water. Rub in oil and make a stiff dough using the water. Make small dumplings about 1” long and 1/2 inch thick. Add these dumplings to the saucepan.
- Transfer the saucepan to a preheated 350 degree oven and let it cook for about 1/2 hour. The vegetables and the meat should be cooked. Add the lemon juice and let it rest.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and garam masala before serving.
Note: You can use Mutton or Chicken, with or without bones or, you can omit the meat and serve it us a vegetarian dish.