- 8 oz butter
- 2 tbsp viriyari(fennel seeds)
- 3/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup golden sultanas(optional)
- 1 lb cracked wheat
- 1/2 lb jaggery
- 1 lb sugar
- 4 cups water
- 1 can(375ml) coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- Few strands saffron
- Few drops orange food colour or saffron water
- 2 oz almonds
- 2 oz pistachio
- In a large saucepan melt the butter, add viriyari, desiccated coconut, golden sultanas and cracked wheat. Fry this for about 10 minutes stirring often(the cracked wheat will change color to golden)
- Mix the food colouring or saffron water with coconut Milk and add this to the wheat and mix well.
- In a medium saucepan, over high heat, melt the jaggery in the water. Add this to the cracked wheat mix. Turn the heat to medium low( mark 4) and cook Lapsi till almost all the liquid has been absorbed, about 30 minutes.
- Add the sugar and mix well.
- Put the saucepan in a preheated 300 degree oven for 1 hour. The Lapsi will have absorbed all the liquid and doubled in volume.
- Decorate with almonds and pistachio before serving.
Serve it with papadum and/or Kebab or Samosa.
- Melt the butter, add viriyari, desiccated coconut, and sultans and fry it for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile melt the jaggery and sugar in in 2 cups of water.
- Mix the saffron water or food colouring with coconut milk. Add this to the fried wheat. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook on high pressure for 40 minutes.