It is cold and rainy outside and we have all had rich foods in the last few days, so I am making a soup. This is a good healthy soup with no fat added and it is very filling. This soup is very good if you are on a diet.
Mung Beans are:
- Low in Saturated Fat, Sodium, and Cholesterol
- High in Dietary Fiber, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Riboflavin, Folate, Copper, Manganese, Protein, Thiamin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Pantothenic Acid, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus and Potassium
The nutritional value of mung beans makes them ideal for:
- Weight loss
- Maintaining optimum health
Mung Beans are a native of India.
They are small egg shaped and green in color. They are commonly used in India, Pakistan, and southeast Asia.
Whole beans are generally prepared from dried beans by soaking in water for 5 hours and then boiling them until soft. If you do not soak them, they will take longer to cook.
Makes 4 serving.
- 1 cup Mung beans
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 chicken breast deboned and skinned.
- 1 small onion
- 1 small tomato
- 1 tbsp crushed ginger
- 1/2 pkg frozen spinach (3 oz)
- 1/2 tsp salt(or to taste)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Soak Mung in 3 cups of water for about 5 hours. If you do not soak the mung, they will take longer to cook.
- Rinse the chicken and cut it into very thin 1 inch strips.
- Finely chop the onions and tomatoes.
- Drain the water. In a medium pot put the mung, add 4 cups of water, chicken, chopped onions and tomatoes, ginger, spinach and salt and cook this on med for 1/2 hour.
- Sprinkle the cilantro before serving.