- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium tomato
- 2 potatoes(optional)
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 5 cloves
- 1 inch piece cinnamon stick
- 5 cardamom pods
- 1 tsp dhanajeera(cumin and coriander powder)
- 1/4 tsp haldi(turmeric powder)
- 2 tsp green masala
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/ 2 cup yoghurt
- 2 tsp salt
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Rinse the rice in cold water and soak it in the water till you are ready to use.
- Peel and thinly slice the onions, dice the tomatoes and peel and quarter the potatoes.
- In a medium saucepan heat the oil. Add cumin, black pepper cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, and onions. Fry the onions till light golden brown.
- Add the tomatoes, dhana jeera, haldi, green masala, salt yoghurt, and peas. Mix and let it cook on medium- high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the water. When the water starts to boil add the rice. When this starts to boil, turn the meat to medium cover and cook for 10 minutes. Most of the liquid will be absorbed.
- Sprinkle garam masala and put it in a pre heated 300 degree oven for about 10 minutes.
Serve it with yoghurt and carrot pickle. The rice can be served with chicken tikka or on its own.