I found this recipe in the Vancouver Sun – food section. The cake has sliced strawberries with a sweet coconut mixture. The original recipe is from The UBC Bake Shop.
The cake is delicious with coffee or serve it as a desert with ice cream and/or whipped cream.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup chilled butter
- 1/4 cup flaked or shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 medium egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Combine flour and sugar.
- Cut in chilled butter and mix in coconut.
- Mix sugar, shortening and egg thoroughly.
- Stir in milk and almond extract.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Stir dry ingredients into butter mixture.
- Turn into greased and floured 9 inch square/round cake pan.
- Top with strawberries and sprinkle with coconut topping.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes.
The cake is done when, if you insert a tooth pick in the middle of the cake and the tooth pick comes out clean.