This is a recipe I got from Womans Weekly magazine.
Sliced almonds and sweet butter-crumb topping turn tangy fruit and shortbread cookie bars into super treats.
You can use peaches or nectarines instead of apricots.
Makes 12 squares
319 calories per square.
- 1 lb apricots, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 3 tbsp butter, at room temperature
- 2 tbsp sliced natural almonds
For the filling:
In a pot over high heat combine apricots, sugar, lemon juice and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 20 minutes. freeze 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line 9” square baking pan with aluminum foil.
- Combine flour, sugar and salt.
- With pastry blender or 2 knives cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Lightly beat together egg and almond extract; stir into flour mixture until dough forms.
- Press dough into bottom of the pan; prick with a fork.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until golden.
- Cool slightly.
For the Topping
- Combine flour, sugar and zest.
- Using fingers blend in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Stir in almonds.
- Spread apricot filling over pastry; sprinkle with crumb topping.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until topping is golden.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Cut in Squares.