- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 fresh fennel bulb, centre core removed, sliced thinly
- 2 med-large potatoes, peeled and diced.1 large white onion
- 1 medium leek, white part only diced
- 2 small bay leaves
- 5-6 sprigs chopped fresh thyme
- 2 cups fish stock
- 2 cups whipping cream
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup diced fish(Halibut, salmon or ling cod)
- 1 lb prawns or another seafood of your choice
- Chopped fresh herbs, such as parsley, dill and/or chives
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add fennel, potato, onion and leek. Cook. continue stirring until vegetables are tender but not brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add bay leaves and thyme, fish stock and cream. Simmer until chowder thickens slightly and flavours blend, about 10-15 min. Add lemon zest and salt and pepper to taste.
- The chowder can be made ahead to this point, and stored in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve it.
- To complete the dish: dice fish and devein prawns.
- Reheat the chowder base over medium heat until it reaches a simmer. Add the fish and prawns and cook for 8 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Season with salt and pepper and add fresh chopped herds.
- Divide the seafood into bowls and serve.