Bisques and chowders are two types of thick soup. Bisque is generally smooth while chowder is chunky. Both have a history with seafood – the word chowder comes from the french word for cauldron in which fishermen made their stew, but both words are often used to describe non-seafood dishes as well.
- 6 tbsp canola oil
- 3 large yellow onions, diced medium
- 3 large carrots, diced medium
- 6 stalks celery, diced medium
- 1 lb potatoes, diced medium
- 5 cups water
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/2 cup roasted garlic*
- 1 small roasted red bell pepper peeled**
- 3 cups whipping cream
- 1 lb fresh Salmon, Halibut or ling code, boneless, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 tbsp chipotle chili
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- Heat 4 tbsps of the oil in a large heavy-bottom saucepan.Stir in all but 2 tbsps of the chopped onions as well as all the carrots and celery, (set the onions aside for now). Cook for 25 minutes or until tender.
- Add the potatoes, water, dried spices, bring to a simmer and cook uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, use a food processor to puree the roasted garlic and red pepper. Add to the soup along wth the cream.
- Heat the remaining 2 tbsps oil in a medium heavy bottom frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the fresh salmon, chopped onions and chipotle puree. Sure for 4-5 mins, then transfer to the soup pot.
- Simmer for 5 min. or until the chowder is hot throughout, then serve, garnish each bowl with a little chopped dill.
* To roast a whole garlic, preheat the oven to 400 degree, slice the paper end of the build, exposing the top of the garlic cloves. Drizzle lightly with olive oil, wrap tightly in aluminum foil, and bake for 20-25 mins,, until soft.
**To roast bell peppers, preheat the broiler in your oven, then core each pepper and slice it into quarters. Place the pieces skin side up on a baking sheet and slide it under the broiler, roasting until the skin is blackened. Pop the blackened peppers into a bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and steam for 20 min. Remove the skins. they should slide off easily.
Substitue corn for salmon