Tapioca is a starch extracted from cassava root. It is a staple food fo millions of people in tropical countries but does not have much nutritional value and is low in food energy. In developed countries it is used as a thickening agent. You can buy tapioca in any asian grocery store. You can buy ready to use tapioca pudding in any grocery store.
- 2 cans pineapple crushed or Tidbits(398 ml)
- 1/2 cup sugar(or to taste)
- 2 cups homo milk or half and half
- 1 tbsp custard powder
- 1/2 cup tapioca
- 2 cups water
- 1 pkt frozen young coconut(thawed)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cans evaporated milk
- Drain the pineapple and put it in a medium size saucepan. Add the sugar and cook it on med-hot heat stirring occasionally till the liquid evaporates and the pineapple has caramelized. It will change colour to light gold, about 15 minutes.
- Heat 2 cups of milk in the microwave. Mix the custard powder in a 1/4 cup milk, add this to the hot milk, mix and microwave for 2 1/2 minutes. Stir it and microwave again for 2 1/2 minutes. The custard should be thick.
- Mix the tapioca in 2 cups hot water and coconut milk. Microwave for 5 minutes, mix and microwave for another five minuts5 minutes.
- In a large bowl mix the pineapple, custard, tapioca, young coconut and evaporated milk and refrigerate for 5 hours or overnight.
- Serve it cold sprinkles with nuts.
- Note: You can substitute 2 cans tapioca pudding for tapioca and evaporated milk.