This biriyani is different then other biriyanis because of the herbs in it. It is very tasty. Biriyanis take longer to make because you have to boil the meat and rice separately and fry onions and potatoes and then bake everything together, but it is worth it.
- 2 lbs meat (veal, lamb, goat meat or beef bone in) cut into 1 “ cubes
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1/2 tsp red chillii powder
- 2 tbsp green masala
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp saffron
- 2 cups vegetable oil for frying
- 3 potatoes, peel and cut in quarters
- 4 onions peeled and sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 small piece cinnamon stick
- 5 cardamom pods
- 5 cloves
- 4 tomatoes dices into 1/4 inch
- 2 cups rice
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup boiled bharazi (pigeon peas)
- 1 cup chopped dill weeds
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped mint leaves
- 1/4 tsp saffron (add it to 1/4 cup hot water)
- 2 cups oil for frying
- Remove all the fat from the meat, rinse it in cold water and pat it dry.
- Marinate meat in yoghurt, red chilli powder, green masala, lemon juice, salt, tomato paste, saffron for a couple of hours.
- In a medium frying pan heat the oil to 350 degrees(the oil is ready when you put the handle of a wooden spoon in the oil and bubbles form around it) and fry the potatoes, till the are light brown in colour and crisy on the out side. Remove it from the frying pan and drain it on a paper towel.
- Fry the onions till they are golden brown in colour. Remove onions from the oil and drain it in a colander.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add cumin, black pepper, cinnamon sticks, cloves and cardamon. Add the diced tomatoes and cook for about 5 minutes till the tomatoes are soft.
- Add the meat mixture stir well and cook on low heat till the meat is tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 1/2 hour. You should have about a cup of liquid left.
- Rinse the rice in cold water.
- Boil the water, add the salt, when the water starts to boil add the rice. Cook it for about 10 minutes, The rice should be half cooked. Drain the rice and rinse it in cold water.
- Add chopped bharazi dill weeds, cilantro and mint to the rice and mix.
- Arrange the potatoes on the meat, spread the onions on it and sprinkle it with garam masala.
- Spread the rice on this mixture.
- Pour the saffron water on the rice, and then the oil on it.
- Cover the saucepan and cook it in the preheated oven for about half an hour. The rice will fluff up and there will be a nice aroma when you remove the lid.
- While the meat is cooking boil the rice.
To Serve: Put rice in a large plate and the meat on top.