This is a recipe I got from the Internet
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 lamb shanks
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 bunch cilantro, stalks, finely chopped
- 1-½ tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 400g chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Pinch saffron threads
- 100 gms baby spinach, washed and spun dry
- Heat olive oil in a pressure cooker on a medium-high heat, brown the lamb shanks all over, then remove and set aside.
- Reduce the heat and add the onions, sauté until soft, add the chilli, garlic and coriander stalks, cook for 1 minute. Stir in the paprika, chilli powder, coriander, cumin and turmeric.
- Return the lamb shanks back to the pressure cooker and turn to coat in the mixture.
- Add the tomatoes and enough stock to cover the shanks. Increase heat to high and bring to the boil, cover with lid and when pressure cooker starts whistling, lower heat to medium low. Cook for 55-60 minutes, remove lid and remove lamb shanks, cover to keep warm.
- Stir through the chickpeas and saffron, simmer for 10 minutes. Add remaining stock if mixture is too thick. Stir through the spinach and turn off heat.
pour the stock into a saucepan, place over a high heat and bring to the boil, remove from heat, add the polenta and whisk continually until smooth. Add the butter 50g at a time, add pine nuts and season.
spoon polenta onto a plate, top with a lamb shank, spoon over the sauce and top with coriander leaves to serve.
Notes: Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: 1 hour 40 minutes