This is a Jewish Marzipan bread. It is used as a desert for Christmas traditional meal. I had found it in a Jewish bakery in London, England and then found the recipe in a Christmas magazine in the 1980s. It is an extremely rich and decadent treat. Often a coin is hidden in the kringle and it is thought that the finder will be guaranteed good luck for the upcoming year.
I divide the dough in 2 and make 2 small kringles.
You can buy the marzipan from a bakery or make your own.
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 pkg rapid-rise yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup whipping cream.
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- Marzipan Filling (recipe to follow)
- 1 egg white
- 3/4 cup sliced natural almonds
- 1/4 cup course sugar crystals or crushed sugar cube
- In a large bowl, combine flour, yeast, sugar and salt.
- In a medium – size bowl, mix together egg yolks, cream, milk and melted butter until blended.
- Stir into flour mixture until solid dough forms.(The liquid ingredients do not have to be heated to activate the yeast). Place dough in greased bowl.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate 2-3 hours, or until well chilled.
- Meanwhile prepare Marzipan filling.
- On a lightly floured surface with a rolling pin, roll dough to a 24 inch square.
- Spread Marzipan Filing to withn 1” of edges. Roll up jelly roll style, enclosing filling filling.
- Roll into a pretzel shape.
- Place on a cookie sheet, seam-side down.
- Brush dough with egg white; sprinkle with almonds and course sugar.
- Cover and let it rise in warm, draft-free place about 40 minutes or until double in size.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 35 – 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove to wire rack to cool.
Serve warm or cold.
- 1 cup lightly packed almond paste
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted almonds
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp almond extract
In a food processor fitted with metal blade, combine all ingredients . Process until throughly blended.
- 8 oz ground almond (Blanch almonds and blend it)
- 4 oz icing sugar
- 4 oz caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Sift the dry ingredients.
- Beat the eggs with lemon juice and stir into the almond mixture to make a firm paste.
- Wrap in cling film to prevent it from drying out.
- This amount makes 1 lb almond paste.