Kuku Paka is a simple chicken dish, cooked with coconut milk, from the coast of East. Africa. It is sometimes called Kuku na nazi. Kuku means chicken and nazi is coconut in swahalli. For authentic flavor, grill or BBQ the chicken pieces before stirring them into the simmering sauce. If you like, you can also use boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs.
Serves 4 – 6
- 1 chicken skinned and cut into 10 pieces
- 1 small onion
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 5 cardamom pods
- 1 jalapeño
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 tbsp green masala
- 1/4 tsp haldi(turmeric powder)
- 2 cans(400 ml) coconut milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lemon
- 4 boiled eggs
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Remove all the fat from the chicken and rinse it in cold water.
- Peel the onions and dice it to a 1/4 inch.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add cumin seeds, cardamom, ,jalapeño and onions. Fry the onions till they are soft and transparent.
- Finely chop the tomato and add this to the onion mix. Add the green masala, haldi, salt and mix. Cook for a min.
- Add the coconut milk, one cup water and cook till the mixture starts to boil.
- Add the chicken and cook covered on medium heat for 15 min till the chicken is cooked.
- Add the lemon juice and boiled eggs.
- Serve sprinkled with cilantro.
Serve with Fresh bread, Makati and/or rice.
You can substitute potatoes for eggs.
6 thoughts on “Kuku Paka”
Hi Naseem tried out your this recipe was outstanding my friends came for dinner loved it some of them were currypot regulars for this KUKU PAKA GOOD JOB NASIM keep it up wonderful site
Thank you, I am glad you enjoyed it
I have posted Shirin bai’s Makati recipe. Kuku paka is Shirinbai(my Mum’s recipe.
I have posted your mums Makati recipe, which is good. Kuku Paka is my mum’s recipe. Thenk you
Superb n my fav.
Thank u so much for sharing