- 5 oz butter(room temperature)
- 2 large bananas, about 1 lbs
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- pinch salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 bananas
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 oz. chilled butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 12 oz semisweet-chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour two 9” cake pans. Bring 5 oz. of butter to room temperature and keep the remaining 4 oz. chilled Mash the bananas to make 1 1/4 cups puree.
- Combine all purpose flour, cocoa, baking powder, soda and salt. With an electric mixer at medium low speed, beat 5 oz. of the butter and 1 1/ cups of sugar until fluffy and light in color, about 5 minutes.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add 1 tsp. of the vanilla. Reduce speed and beat in the mashed bananas. Beat in flour mixture in thirds, alternating with the buttermilk, until just mixed.
- Pour into prepared pans and bake until a toothpick stuck in the centre comes out clean, 30 – 35 minutes. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely.
- Combine the all-purpose flour, the remaining 3/4 cup sugar and a pinch of salt in a saucepan. Beat together 1 1/2 cups of milk and the yolks. Stir into flour mixture until smooth. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Continue boiling and stirring 2 minutes.
- Pour through a sieve into a bowl. Stir in the remaining 1/2 tsp vanilla. Press a piece of plastic wrap directly against the surface of the cream filling to prevent a skin from forming. Chill at least 1 hour.
- Beat cream until it holds stiff peaks and fold into chilled cream filling.
- Cut the chilled butter into small pieces. In a saucepan, combine remaining 1/2 cup milk and the chocolate chips and stir over low heat until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in butter, a little bit at a time, until smooth. Pour into a bowl and let stand until firm enough to spread, about 1 hour.
- Slice each cake layer in half horizontally. Place 1 layer (bottom side down) on a serving plate. Slice remaining bananas. Spread cake layer with a third of the cream filling. Top with a third of the banana slices and another cake layer. Continue in the same way with 2 more layers, topping with the final cake layer.
- Run a spatula around sides of cake to smooth the cream filling. Cover sides and top with the chocolate frosting.