Khow Suey is a popular Burmese dish. It is a mild Chicken Curry with lots of coconut sauce. The coconut sauce is ladled over a bowl of egg noodles and chicken and served with a number of accompaniments with contrasting flavors.
You will find a few different recipes for this dish.
To serve: each person takes a serving of noodles, takes some chicken and ladles on a generous amount of the curry and sprinkles various accompaniments over the top.
- Crispy fried onions
- Chopped eggs
Sliced green onions
Noodles, chicken and coconut curry,
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 1 tbsp kas kas (poppy seeds)
- 10 almonds
- 2 dried red chilies(optional)
Roast all the ingredient in a frying pan and grind it to a paste.
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1 tbsp Green masala
- 1 whole chicken breast
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- In a medium saucepan heat the oil.
- Fry the onions till it is golden brown in color.
- Add the green masala and the paste.
- Remove all the fat from the chicken and cut it into 1” cubes.
- Add this to the saucepan and cook for 10 minutes until done.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 tbsp chana flour(gram flour)
- 2 can coconut milk
- 1 tsp freshly ground cumin
- 1 tsp Green masala
- 1/4 tsp Haldi
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- In a medium saucepan heat the oil and fry the chana flour for 2 minutes. Add the coconut milk, fresh crushed cumin, and green masala and chicken bouillon and mix well.
- Cook on medium heat and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium low and simmer stirring for about 10 min.
- 1 pkt egg noodles
- 1 tsp salt
Just before serving, cook the noodles.
- In a large saucepan bring 6 cups of water to boil.
- Add 1 tsp salt.
- Add the noodles and cook for about 7 minutes till the noodles are tender.
- Drain in a colander.
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup red garlic chutney
- 1 boiled egg chopped.
- fried noodles.
- 1 lemon cut in wedge
- 1/2 cup fried onions
Red Garlic Chutney
- 10 dried red chili
- 1 garlic peeled
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- Boil the dried chilies, remove the seeds.
- In a blender, blend the chilies, garlic and salt.
- In a small saucepan heat the oil, fry the garlic for 2 minute. Add the chili paste. Cook for 5 min stirring. Cool it completely before serving.
Serve everything in separate bowls.