- 3 oz almonds
- 8 oz currants
- 8 oz sultans
- 8 oz raisins
- 4 oz cherries
- 4 oz mixed peel
- 9 oz white flour
- 1 level tsp grated nutmeg
- 1 level tsp mixed spices
- ½ level tsp ground cinnamon
- 8 oz butter
- 8 oz brown sugar
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 4 eggs
- 3 oz ground almonds.
- Preheat oven to 290 degrees F.
- Chop almonds and mix with the next 9 ingredients.
- Cream Butter and Sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time and add the ground almonds.
- Fold in the flour mixture half at a time until well mixed.
- Pour into a prepared 8 ” round cake tin.
- Bake in the middle self for about 3 hours.
- Remove from the oven and leave in the tin for ten min. Turn out and cool on wire rack .
You should leave the cake for at least a day (or 2-3 weeks, to mature, wrapped in greaseproof paper, and stored in an airtight tin)
You can decorate the cake with nuts before you put it in the oven.
You can leave it plain.
Or you can coat it with almond paste and royal icing.