Chicken Tikka is a Chicken dish originating in South Asia where it remains popular in both Pakistan and India. It is traditionally small pieces of boneless chicken baked using skewers in a clay-based oven called a tandoor after marinating in spices and yoghurt. Tikka means bite size. The pieces are brushed with ghee(clarified butter) which gives it a taste. It is typically eaten with green coriander and Tamarind chutney, raita and served with onion rings and lemon.
You will find a few different recipes to marinate the chicken and a few different ways to serve it.
Chicken Tikka is perfect for a picnic. You can marinate the meat and BBQ it in the park. Chicken can be cut in cubes and put on a skewer or can be cut in long strips.
Tandoori chicken is chicken tikka with bone in. You can buy the whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces, make a slit or 2 slits on each piece and marinate it(the slit helps cook chicken faster and marinates better.
- 4 boneless, skinless, chicken breast
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 2 jalepino(or to taste) chopped finely
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp red chili
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Remove all the fat from the chicken and rinse it in cold water.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, mix it well and marinate it for about 5 hours or overnight.
- BBQ it on the BBQ for about 5 minutes on each side, or bake it in a preheated oven for about 20 minutes, or until done. (the skin is done when it changes color and is firm to the touch.
You can cut the chicken 1 inch strips or 1-1/2 inch cubes and skewer it before cooking.
Serve it with spicy potatoes, green salad, riata, green chutney and amli chutney.