Phyllo dough is paper-thin sheets of unleavened flour dough used for making pastries in Middle Eastern and Balkan cuisine. Fillo pastry can be bought from most Super Markets, Greek grocery store and Iranian grocery Stores.
- 1 tbsp olive oil or vegetable oil
- 8 oz ground beef lamb
- 1/2 tsp crushed garlic
- 1/2 tsp crushed ginger
- 1 cup finely chopped potato
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 – 5 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp freshly crushed black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme, crushed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups chopped tomato
- 1/2 cup chopped parsely
- 1/4 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme, crushed
- 10 sheets frozen phyllo pastry, thawed
- sliced green onion
- In a large non stick skillet, cook the meat on medium heat, breaking the lumps, for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and The meat will change color and will be fairly dry. Add the garlic ginger, potatoes and onions and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Stir in 2 tsp curry powder, black pepper, 1/2 tsp thyme, and 1/2 tsp salt and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, cooked covered for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat .
- Stir in parsley and let the mixture cool.
- Combine the remaining curry powder, 1/4 cup oil and 1/4 tsp thyme.
- Cut the phyllo in half length wise. Use 1 sheet at a time and keep the rest covered.
- Brush the phyllo with oil, fold it in half length wise,
- Spoon a rounded tbsp of meat mixture 1” from the end of each strip. Fold a bottom corner of each strip over the filling so the short edge lines up with the side edge to make a triangle. Fold the triangular shapes along the strip.
- Repeat with the remaining phyllo and filling.
- Arrange filled triangles on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Brush the tops lightly with remaining oil mixture.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 12 min or till golden brown.
- Garnish with green onions, if desired.
To Make ahead, prepare as directed but do not bake. Wrap unbaked triangles and freeze up to 2 weeks.
To bake, place the frozen triangles on a baking sheet and bake as directed.