Makes 72 Cookies
- 1 8oz package Cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp coffee liqueur or hazelnut liqueur
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans or hazelnuts, toasted(optional)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
For the Filling
- In a medium bowl, combine softened cream cheese, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, the 2 tbsp flour, and the liqueur. Beat with electric mixer on low to medium speed until smooth. Stir in nuts. Cover and set aside.
- For dough, in a large bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, milk, and vanilla. Beat in as much of the 2-3/4 cups flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in remaining flour. Divide dough in half. If necessary, cover and chill about 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of the dough into 12 x 8 inch rectangle. Spread the half of the filling, stopping within 1/2 inch of each long edge. Roll both long edges, scroll fashion, to meet in centre. Brush seam where dough spirals meet with water; lightly press together. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Wrap each roll in plastic wrap. Place on a tray or cookie sheet. Chill for at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degree. Greese cookie sheets; set aside. Using a thin-bladed knife, cut rolls into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Place slices 2 inch apart on the prepared cookie sheets. Bake about 8 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are slightly browned.
- Transfer to a wire rack and cool.