These are ideal dunked in a cup of coffee or tea. Or serve alongside a glass of VinSanto or other dessert wine. Use blanched or un blanched almonds.
Makes 72 Biscotti
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped dried cherries
- 2 tbsp kirsch, brandy or water
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup whole almonds, coarsely chopped
- 12 oz white chocolate, chopped
- In a microwaveable bowl, microwave cherries, kirsch (water) on high for 45 seconds. Stir; let stand until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- In a bowl, beat butter with sugar until fluffy; beat in eggs, 1 at a time.
- Beat in almond extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; add to butter mixture in 2 additions, stirring just until combined.
- Drain cherries if necessary. Add cherries, almonds and 1/3 of the chocolate. Mix well.
- Divide dough into thirds. On a lightly floured surface, roll each into 12 inch long log.
- Place, 2 inches apart, on parcement paper-lined or greased baking sheet; press to flatten logs slightly.
- Bake in 325 degree preheated oven until light golden and just firm to the touch, about 30 minutes.
- Let cool on a pan on rack for 10 minutes.
- Transfer log to cutting board. Using a sharp knife, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices. Stand slices up, about 1/2 inch apart, on baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 325 degree F oven until almost dry, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a rack, cool completely.
- In a bowl over saucepan of hot water, melt remaining chocolate.
- Dip 1 end of each biscotti into chocolate. Place on waxed or parchment paper-lined baking sheet; let stand until set, about 1 hour.
Make ahead: Store layered between waxed paper in airtight container for up to 1 week or freeze for upto 1 month.