- 1/3 cup homogenized milk
- 2 1/4 cups unsalted butter
- 4 cups urad flour
- 3 oz gund (arabic gum)*
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 3/4 tsp dried ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachio
- Warm milk with 1/3 cup butter and rub into flour until it resembles fine bread crumbs or mix in a food processor.
- Set aside for 4 to 5 hours.
- Heat oil in a in a medium saucepan and fry the arabic gum*, remove and set aside. Pour the oil out of the saucepan. Melt the butter in the saucepan and saute the crumbed flour until golden brown.
- Meanwhile make syrup with sugar and water in a saucepan until the mixture feels sticky to your fingers or 170 degrees F on a candy thermometer.
- Pour the sugar mixture into the flour mixture and stir until thick.
- Add the fried gum arabic, garam masala, ginger, cardamom and nutmeg. Mix well.
- Sprinkle a few chopped nuts in a small mould**, and fill mould with the uradia mixture.
- Unmould immediatey and set aside on a tray to cool.
- Repeat the procedure for the remaining mixture.
*When frying Arabic gum make sure the oil is hot, otherwise gum will not pop. It is important thar gum pops up when fried and is no longer hard or sticky.
**Small Tupperware mould,or a dixie cup or a small ice cream cup is perfec