Topra pak ia a sweet meat made with coconut (topra). It is very rich. At home we used fresh coconut only. The coconut is split in half, we drank the coconut water and grated the coconut and used the flesh for the pak. Here we use the dried coconut.
- 2 cups oil for fryin
- 1/2 cup gund
- 3 cups butter
- 2 cups Sojee (semolina or wheatlets)
- 2 cups powder milk
- 1 tsp crushed elichi,(cardamom seeds)
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp saffron
- 2 cup almonds (crushed)
- 6 cups grated coconut
- 3 cups Sugar
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 can evaporated Milk (395ml)
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds, and pista
- 2 tbsp kas kas (poppy seeds
- In a frying pan heat the oil to medium hot. (oil is hot when if you put the handle of the spoon in oil tiny bubbles form around it.) Add a tbsp of gund and fry. The gund will puff up and become see through. Remove from the oil and drain. Fry the rest the same way.
- Melt Butter in a large saucepan on medium hot heat and fry sojee till golden brown about 15 min.
- Add the milk powder and fry stirring for 5 min.
- Add elechi, nutmeg, saffron fried gund, coconut, almonds, and mix well.
- In a small saucepan make a syrup with sugar and 11/2 cups water till it is 1 string. (Drop some syrup on a plate, Put some syrup between your finger and thumb and pull your fingers apart. You will see a string when you pull apart.) Add this to the saucepan. Add the milk and mix well.
- Pour into a 13 x 18 inch tray.
- Decorated it with almonds, pista and kas kas.
- Let it set in a cool place.
- Cut into squares or diamonds.