- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Assorted candies, sprinkles, or colored sugars, for decorating (optional)
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and salt.
- With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- With mixer on low, gradually add flour mixture, beat until combined.
- Divide dough in half, flatten into disks. Wrap each in plastic, freeze until firm, at least 20 minutes, or place in a resealable bag, and freeze up to 3 months (thaw in refrigerator overnight)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove one dough disk, let stand 5 – 10 minutes.
- Roll out to 1/8″ thick between two sheets of floured parchment, dusting dough with flour as needed.
- Cut shapes with cookie cutters. Using a spatula, transfer to prepared baking sheets. (If dough gets soft, chill 10 minutes.). Re roll scrapes; cut shapes.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake, rotating halfway through, until edges are golden, 10 – 18 minutes (depending on size).
- Cool completely on wire racks.
To ice cookies, spread icing with the back of a spoon.. Let the icing harden, about 20 minutes.
Decorate as desired
Use flour on utensils to keep dough from sticking: Dip the cookie cutters, and dust the spatula before transferring uncooked dough to a sheet. Rolling dough between two sheets of floured parchment will keep it from sticking to the rolling pin.