Speculatius (German Spice Cookies) are considered the traditional St. Nicholas Cookie.
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground mace
- pinch salt
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp grated lemon rind
- 1 egg
- Combine flour, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, cloves, mace and salt onto wax paper.
- In a large bowl beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and lemon rind. Stir in flour mixture and mix well.
- Roll out dough, one half at a time, on a lightly floured surface to a 1/4 inch thickness. Cut cookies with a cookie cutter. (Any size and shape you want).
- Place cookies 1” apart on an ungreased cookie sheets. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake in a med oven (350 degrees) for 15 minutes or until cookies are light brown.
- Remove from cookie sheets to wire racks. Cool completely.