Speculaas (German Spice Cookies) are considered the traditional St. Nicholas Cookie.
- 3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Combine flour, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, baking powder and salt onto wax paper.
- In a large bowl, of electric mixer, at high speed, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg.
- With a wooden spoon, stir in half of the flour mixture, then beat in rest of the mixture and the almonds, mixing with hands if necessary.
- Refrigerate, dough covered, several hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Lightly grease several cookie sheets. Remove one fourth of the dough at a time from refrigerate.
- Roll out dough, one quarter at a time, on a lightly floured surface to a 1/4 inch thickness. Cut cookies with a cookie cutter. (Any size and shape you want).
- Place cookies 1” apart on a prepared cookie sheets. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until cookies are light brown around edges.
- Remove from cookie sheets to wire racks. Cool completely.
You can use a cookie mold, to shape the cookies.
Keep in a tightly covered glass jar or cookie tin in a cool dry place several weeks.